Search This Blog

Thursday, March 10, 2016

The Table of the Lord. Dare I Ask?

I grew up in a Baptist Church where my Dad was the pastor.  On the first Sunday of the month, as regular as clockwork we had Communion.  Pieces of bread and cups of grape juice were passed around in the midst of some Bible reading and a comment or two.  It always took place after the service.  Some folks left.  There was a sense where the really spiritual stayed.   To my unconverted, spiritually dead heart, it had the aura of importance.

“Communion” has always been an issue for me. My wife, Debra, from the brethren tradition has another view of Communion.  Of course, to her, it is breaking of bread.  Her memories are sweet and profound, full of joy and anticipation.  The ‘breaking-of-bread’ service still brings a glow to her eyes and great memories.

As I think about Communion, I am fearful that some of my thoughts have recently been close to sacrilege.  It is indeed considered a sacrament by some. Some actually anticipate the real or spiritual presence of Christ in the elements.  Some ... not so much!

What would happen you could create a redeemed, born-of-the-Spirit, individual, who simply drew conclusions about Communion from a careful reading and study of the Bible?  They would not be influenced by tradition, debate or other factors?  I mean, absolutely no interference with the post-apostolic fathers, the traditions of the denominations or the expectations of culture.  

Could you simply read and accurately interpret the Bible and end up celebrating Communion the way Baptists do it; or the Brethren do it; or the Reformed do it – or anyone else?  Am I even allowed to ask that question?  Am I stepping into the valley of unorthodoxy?


I'll try to keep the Blogs short and readable.  The next installment will look at just the variety of names.  You call it _________; I call it _______________ ?  


No comments: