Search This Blog

Thursday, September 25, 2014

The Road to Thanksgiving (An Exposition of Psalm 116) - Pt.2

Psalm 116 is definitely a personal song of thanksgiving for God's deliverance.  It's a song where the expression of gratefulness is extended to a commitment to a life of worship. Although the Septuagint divides the psalm into two, the structure is more complicated than that.  In fact there is little consensus about the structure.  This is my understanding of the structure.  It is neither dogmatic nor authoritative, but I believe the form does give a message.

The basic premise of my suggestion is found in verses 7 and 12.  At these two points the author breaks away from the recitation of God's goodness and his commitment to be loyal to speak to himself.   This forms an outline that could be described as:

  • Circumstance
  • Contemplation
  • Commitment
Except for the "introduction" (vv1-2), that pattern seems to emerge. For example,notice the diagram to the right.   If this is the pattern that the human author and the Divine author intended (and I believe it is), then the structure of the message is in itself a message to us.  Not unlike the famous quotation from Marshall McLuhan: The medium is the message.

What is the message?  Is it not:

When God intersects with our lives in redemptive grace we ought to consider thoughtfully our response and seriously commit to a life worthy of that mercy.

So as we enter Psalm 116, this is the framework which guides our meditation and study.  "Look what God has done!"  "What does that mean to me?"   "What should my response look like?"   My "thanksgiving" ought to be thoughtful and expressive.   Let me give a practical example:

Let's assume I am praying for the a certain circumstance to change.  I need a new job.  God gives me just what I ask for.  It seems to fit the bill.  Casually we often with deep sincerity publicly and privately say to God, "Thank you!"  But what if I stop and think.  What should my contemplation of this answer to prayer look like?  What if following the pattern of the psalmist, I counsel my soul regarding its finding rest and peace in God, both now and in the future?  What if I ask myself, "What does a thankful life look like now that God has mercifully met my need?

Thankfulness without thoughtfulness is trivial.  Response without resolution is irrational.  We don't deepen our thankfulness in order to pay-back God.  We respond with this depth of genuine gratefulness because that it is the natural follow-through of true thanks.  One might argue that there really isn't true thankfulness unless there is that careful consideration and commitment.

Father, how can I say thanks?  This is the question.  I know that a fast and furious kiss on the cheek doesn't say thanks.  I know that a thoughtless, mechanical, habitual word or thought in passing doesn't say thanks.  Father, you have done so much for me.  You have given Your life that I might be redeemed and free.  Grant me the grace of this psalm to carefully consider the implications of this for my life; and to live a life worthy of Your great love for me.



_____________________________________________

A. Part 1 of this article is found HERE.




No comments: